The efficiency and productivity of your laser engraver or laser cutting machine depend largely on how well it is maintained. Smoke, dust, or residue build-up inside the laser system or the mechanical components can cause several avoidable issues.
If you examine your laser engraver only when it has started malfunctioning, it will take you too much time and efforts to take up to troubleshoot and fix the problem. Therefore, it’s always a good idea to regularly examine your laser engraver by following the maintenance manuals and making sure you use high-quality machine parts.
Here are some basic maintenance suggestions for your laser engraver machine to keep its quality output, consistent reliability, and extended product lifetime.
▶ Clean the Working Table and Motion System
- Turn the power off and unplug the laser engraver / cutter.
- Use a vacuum cleaner with a flexible nozzle to remove dust and debris from the worktable and motion system.
- Dampen a piece of paper wipe or cotton towel with a small amount of all-purpose cleaner, alcohol, or acetone to clean the working table and the rails of the motion system.
- Wait for all cleaning residue to dry completely before plugging in and operating your laser engraver / cutter.
*Note: Never pour or spray oil, alcohol, or acetone directly on the worktable, as this may lead to fires or soot build-up if improperly used.
▶ Lubricate the X/Y Axis Linear Rail System
- Clean and lubricate the X-axis linear rail of laser engraver with 0.1ml grease from syringe every two weeks to maintain the motion system properly.
- Always clean and lubricate the X-axis and Y-axis rails after working with materials that produce lots of debris (such as wood).
*Note: Too much oil or NSK PS2 grease applied to the Y-axis rails will accelerate the debris building up.
▶ Clean the Mirrors
After you have removed each mirror, you will want to inspect each mirror for scratches, soot, or debris.
- Hold the mirror with the reflective side up without touching the reflective side of the mirror (DO NOT apply any finger pressure or any other cleaner to the mirror surface).
- Drape a new sheet of lens tissue over the mirror.
- Apply a few drops of lens cleaner on the tissue covering the mirror (apply enough so that the tissue absorbs just enough solution to cover the mirror surface).
- Pull the tissue across the mirror in only one direction.
- Make sure that the mirror is completely dry before reinstalling back.
▶ Clean the Focal Lens
!! The recommended lens cleaner is Eclipse Cleaning System Solution from Photographic Solutions or HPLC grade Methanol.
- Clean the focal lens with a cotton swab and lens cleaner solution. Make sure you clean both sides of the focal lens.
- Use a cotton swab to gently dry the focal lens and lens cover after cleaning.
*Note: DO NOT apply any finger pressure or other cleaner to the lens surface.
▶ Clean Exhaust Duct
Efficient exhaust ventilation is crucial to laser cutting quality. Suggest cleaning accumulated dust inside the exhaust duct regularly, as it helps to maintain the ventilation efficiency of your laser engraver.
GCCPro Laser Engravers